[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Asterisk-Dev Digest, Vol 4, Issue 58

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Thu Nov 25 10:41:25 MST 2004

Darren Sessions wrote:

>>On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:42 -0500, Darren Sessions wrote:
>>

>>>Steve - Is it your goal in life to be a jerk? - it's all I've ever seen come
>>>out of your mouth. Just wondering. Maybe it's that big "I think I know it
>>>all" head of yours.
>>>

>>Maybe you should remove your ego from the equation for a second and
>>realize I don't give a shit about what you think. I give you advice
>>based on experience and good database design.
>>

>No ego - just not much for getting flamed by one person all the time.

May I point you to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

"Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to
give offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct,
cut-through-the-bullshit communications style that is natural to people
who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel
warm and fuzzy."

>>>NFS is problematic because if the server dies, it seems to lock up the
>>>clients until it starts responding again.
>>>

>>Don't you get the EXACT same problem if your DB goes down? You have the
>>exact same problematic issue and fewer tools to deal with a DB crash
>>that corrupts your data.
>>

>The database is clustered.

http://www.networkcomputing.com/netdesign/nfs4.html
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

I have to agree with Steve here; NFS (or AFS, or CODA) is a lot better
option than BLOBs.  If you do a little research, you can find that it's
very easy to set up replicated NFS/CODA servers.

Nick