[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Hardware Platform - Intel x86 versus Intel RISC Xscale (ARM)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 25 07:27:59 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 13:13 +0100, Miroslav Nachev wrote:
>    I would like to take your advice about which hardware paltform is
> better for Asterisk - x86 or RISC ?

Not all answers are just technical. This one has shades of what is it
going to take to deploy.

>    I have the following offers:
>    - Mobile Celeron 733MHz     $380
>    - Xscale 667MHz             $330
>    x86 cost is higher than RISC-solution, but the performance is
> better.

As far as I know, We don't have asterisk running on Xscale, and therefor
you would need to find out what the problems of getting linux up and
running and then what level of support the CPU will give you for
handling the work.

Consider that Xscale is used in PDAs where latency isn't really as much
of an interest as low power usage.

>    The technical specification for both CPU is the same:

<snipped specs that look like a fairly modern laptop config>