[Asterisk-Dev] Perl AGI + MySql Audio

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Nov 24 08:02:23 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:42 -0500, Darren Sessions wrote:
> Steve - Is it your goal in life to be a jerk? - it's all I've ever seen come
> out of your mouth. Just wondering. Maybe it's that big "I think I know it
> all" head of yours.

Maybe you should remove your ego from the equation for a second and
realize I don't give a shit about what you think. I give you advice
based on experience and good database design.

> In any case...
>
> Here is the situation. I have a 4 asterisk servers and one database/storage
> server. When a call comes in (forwarded from one of my SER servers) to one
> of the servers, no matter which one, it has to be able to pull unique
> customer information (audio files etc.).

> All the servers have 1000BaseT network connectivity.
>
> NFS is problematic because if the server dies, it seems to lock up the
> clients until it starts responding again.

Don't you get the EXACT same problem if your DB goes down? You have the
exact same problematic issue and fewer tools to deal with a DB crash
that corrupts your data.

> The "Database/Storage" server has over 4GB of ram, 14x146GB 10k hard drives,
> and a high end RAID controller - so speed really isn't an issue just yet.

But the efficiency of a DB transfer of files or a NFS transfer of files
will be significant. You do have a nice subsystem there though.

> The logical choice was to use a database to store the audio files - that's
> all that server would be doing essentially. We've got a quad processor box
> to do real DB stuff. But... It makes sense to have the ability to pull the
> audio data in a variable. With the WAV49 format, the byte count is much
> lower (obviously) than standard wav files and it still retains compatibility
> if I mail an audio file to a customer.

Maybe you need to look at coding a C app for asterisk instead of an AGI.
You can then stuff raw audio frames into the stream and not worry as
much about from where.