[Asterisk-Dev] MELP and MELPe (1.2kbps) codecs for Asterisk

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 12:01:57 MST 2004

> 2) Presently, even IAX2 with 20ms frames has about 12kbps of overhead
> (IP,UDP,IAX2).  So for GSM you have about 25kbps.  Even using the
> magical 0bps codec, you still end up using 12kbps on the wire, unless
> you use larger frame sizes.  [IAX2 trunking, of course, helps a _lot_
> where trunking is viable].

The MELP frame size for 2.4kbps is 22.5ms, and for 1.2kbps it puts
67.5ms into a frame.  Can IAX2 support these sizes?  I believe the
overhead should be 3.55kbps with a 67.5ms frame size, total link
capacity required = 4.75kbps (or 600 bytes per second).  Theoretically,
that could work over a 9600 baud PPP connection in Africa, and still
leave some spare bandwidth for instant messaging.

> 3) It's quality is probably not acceptable for commercial use;  It
> certainly does not approach uLaw quality..  sounds more like speex at
> 4kbps.

There are more audio samples here, at 1200 and 2400, various noisy
environments (street, car, etc):

    http://www.signalogic.com/index.pl?page=codec_samples

The military use it.  If it's good enough to order 'through the bathroom
window' precision bombings  on Osama bin Laden's hideouts, surely it's
good enough for commercial use?

In practice, I think this codec would only be appropriate for very
specific applications where bandwidth is extremely expensive or
impractical (eg long range VHF radio, people who live out of reach of a
DSL service, satellite links, etc).  It wouldn't be something that you
would impose on a corporate user who has a 2mbps serial link at their
city office.