[Asterisk-Dev] Re: IBM/SGI implementations (Steve Kann)

Hadi Jadallah hadi at audiotelecom.net
Tue Nov 23 00:32:16 MST 2004

Hi All,

What you are saying is true, GPUs are da** fast these days. But there is a catch.
The AGP bus is usually fast if you are sending data from RAM to AGP/GPU, but the reverse is not always true. Usualy, and I stress usually, the other way around is slow. But I heard somewhere that it is vendor dependant. NVIDIA I think is faster than ATI in this regard.
There are many documents that discusses this problem. I think www.tomshardware.com has an article about this somewhere.
I don’t know about the new PCI-express hardware though or if the problem is related to bus speed, but I think that it is vendor related to how they build their GPU to interact with the bus.
My 2 $cent.

Hadi