[Asterisk-Dev] Business Case for a DS3 Channel/Driver in Asterisk VoIP

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Mon Nov 22 09:46:54 MST 2004

Gentlemen,

So tell me, why do you need a DS3 into Asterisk?

	I keep reading and hearing that a TNT case makes better sense
now.

	I think that many of you are not thinking about users/customers
in locations where it is difficult to import used telecom equipment.

	Sure, you could make this work with hardware for $10,000 to
$50,000.

	You could by a Cisco DS3 box, seal it in a big steel case, slap
an asterisk label on the outside and the work would be done.

	But imagine getting it through customs.

	(Yes, you still have to be able to afford the DS3...)

	Then there is the problem of cramming cards into chassis's,
wiring the chassis's. My first exposure to VoIP was through dialogic
cards. The heat and the cables and the cost blew the budget. The PC's
weren't the problem; the Telco side cost was sucking the air out of the
room.

	Are we mice or men? Are we going to take being dictated to by
the Telephone Company? Did not one of you ever watch "The President's
Psychiatrist"? (James Coburn played the lead; the Phone Company played
the Villain.)

	Asterisk is a PBX, a telephony toolkit, a telephone playground
that just happens to do VoIP. And it does make a cute way to connect
VoIP to TDM

I am a VoIP guy. In the world of VoIP equipment is persona non grata.
VoIP is digital. DSP's are so analog.

So tell me, why do you need a DS3 into Asterisk?

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken

(The title of "Tyrant" comes free with OCD.)