[Asterisk-Dev] what's the value of a jiffie in zaptel driver ?

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Sun Nov 21 22:29:07 MST 2004

hi all,

i'm trying to reconcile the register settings and proslic calibration
procedure for the wcfxs/wctdm driver between the linux zaptel drivers and
the freebsd zaptel drivers. i'm pretty much sure that a lot of the problems
is timing (i.e. wait/sleep time) based differences and a lot of this is due
to the assumption of what the variable jiffie contains.

i do believe that it is the number of clock ticks, however what's the
frequency of the clock ticks ? is it 100 per second or 1000 per second ?
this has a vast difference when used in code like this:

		origjiffies=jiffies;
		while((jiffies-origjiffies)<4);

is the above while looping for 4ms or 40ms ? the lack of comments in the
file make it difficult to port, for freebsd's clock ticks are defined by
the HZ kernel variable, which by default is set to 100, but can be
increased (and is usually increased) to 1000 for performance sensitive
deployments.

can anyone assist in clarifying what a jiffie is ?

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/