[Asterisk-Dev] Is there a need for a DS3 channel/driver?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Nov 20 12:42:50 MST 2004

Following up on this rather long thread, I'll reply to the first
message instead of the thread fragments which have gone in too many
directions.  As a background note, there was extensive commentary on
this on the -users list around a year ago
(http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-December/029309.html)

Comments on this thread:

1)
   There are cards that handle channelized DS3's, to whoever it was
that commented about unchannelized DS3 hardware.
http://www.sbei.net/Products/WAN/wanPMC-C1T3.htm  is a good example
(and yes, they can include a PCI adapter.)  This device includes
Linux drivers for RH.  I don't know anything about implementation,
driver compatibility, etc. - I just know it's a channelized-to-DS0
card, and with the PCI carrier it's about $3500, quantity 1.  Perhaps
there are cheaper cards?

2)
   No, none of these cards to my knowledge include DSP resources for
codec transcoding, which is the "heavy lifting" numerical calculation
problem.  However, many times codec transcoding is neither required
nor desired, so this is not a major hurdle, and there are other
solutions for offloading of computation.  In places where transcoding
is required, IAX2 or SIP or TDMoE can hand off to number-crunching
machines which have the duty of interacting with distant
codec-constrained endpoints.  In fact, you almost never want your
gateway device to be the system that end-users interact with directly
from the VoIP side, anyway, but that's a different discussion.

3)
   There is a business case here, but it's a niche, certainly.  The
argument for TNTs is fine, but they're still ~$10k, even used (though
I'm sure that you can find them here and there for cheaper - this is
not a price discussion, and comments of "I've found it for $3.22 on
eBay!" will be ignored.)  A solution with a DS3 card that fits into
1u is extremely interesting from a space saving perspective; larger
cabinet footprints have a price associated with them, and while there
may be people that get cheap DS3 loops, I know that most focus right
now is on datacenter cross-connects, where the price of the cabinet
space is usually about 1:3 to the price of the cross-connect, so
space savings is Good.  Having a system that is extremely flexible
within Asterisk's current protocol selection is also desirable,
reducing the cost of administration.  (H.323? SIP? SCCP?  IAX2?!?)
The true scalability of IAX2 might shine very brightly in trunked
situations with this volume of channels, saving significant bandwidth
costs between endpoint locations.

   The comments about leaving this to the telcos: uh, this is FOR the
telcos.   This is not for most ITSPs, who would be hard-pressed to
come up with 672 simultaneous channels anyway.  (To those of you that
do have 672 simultaneous channels: Congratulations!  But you're in
the minority, so don't feel like you need to object in a response to
this post.)   Indeed, many larger carriers are offering SIP handoff
these days, and the number grows every quarter - it is an admirable
trend.  However, simply because there is a trend towards moving away
from DS3 interfaces does not mean that there is no market for an less
expensive DS3 gateway.  We're a long way from getting rid of TDM,
folks, despite our evangelism of VoIP - you can ignore that fact, or
you can make money on that fact while also embracing the new
technology of packet-based call delivery for even cheaper call
delivery.  Choose your camp.

4)
   Regulatory issues: most card vendors have regulatory approval, at
least in North America.  Other nations have the typical red-tape
issues, so outside the US this may be of limited use, especially in
nations in Asia where both software and hardware are more stringently
tested in combination.   Still requires examination.

5)
   SS7: Yes, SS7 is still a problem with Asterisk.  Moving to DS3
interfaces just makes it more painfully obvious.  NFAS PRI is where I
would see this working first, and then ISUP eventually.   I think
Race's proposed suggestion would be for fairly dumb TDM-to-VoIP
conversions, and not a Class 4 or Class 5 switch extension.  It's
just to get bigger density of ports, and we shouldn't look at it as a
simultaneous expansion into SS7, or it will never happen.

6)
   I've said before, and I'll say again: most of the biggest users of
Asterisk never appear on this forum.  They never say anything.  You
don't know they're using Asterisk.  They're reading this thread
closely, but due to various NDAs, competitive market nonsense, and
outright FUD, they won't comment on it.  My suspicion is that
Asterisk is already running DS3 cards somewhere inside several large
telecommunications firms, but that information will never leak back
to us in any public manner.  This is neither good nor bad, it's just
a part of Open Source that we have to deal with.  If there is
interest from one of these large firms on the DS3 project, maybe
they'll step up with some funding for Race, but maybe not - if the
OSS foundations of the project means that they can't keep a
competitive edge (or if they're not able to explain it to their boss)
then they won't back the project.

   IBM: I'm waiting.  Step up to the plate, guys - this, along with
many other Asterisk improvements, is where you could make a
difference in telco-grade Linux.  Same with OSDL.org - there seems to
be a no focus on applications, despite that being where the greatest
changes could happen for market uptake.

JT