[Asterisk-Dev] False echo created by large read buffer in chan_zap.c

Joel Daniels joeld at invtools.com
Fri Nov 19 14:31:24 MST 2004

We don't use IAX, so I haven't tried it, but I assume it would work
(Technically Speaking).  However, I don't think it would do you any good.
Because IAX is VoIP, and unless you have a very good network, and have tuned
asterisk to send tiny packets (ie. less than 20ms) then there will still be a
lot of latency between your PSTN gateway, and your PBX.  If you are using VoIP
then the only choice I am aware of is an echo canceller.  If the echo canceller
built into asterisk doesn't do the trick, then you can buy a hardware echo
canceller that goes directly on your PRI line between your PSTN gateway and the
Telco.  At least so I have read, I haven't actually used a hardware echo
canceller, so I expect that those on the Asterisk Users list who have used one
could better enlighten you.

P.S.
   Theoretically, there might be a way to force Asterisk IAX to have very low
latency.  However this would only work on a very good LAN, and would represent
a huge bandwidth wastage, because you would have to send a whole IP packet for
every 2-5 milliseconds of data.  This would mean that you would have only 16-40
bytes of audio on each packet!  You can always try, but I don't know how much
success you will have.

   Sincerely,
      Joel Daniels