[Asterisk-Dev] Is there a need for a DS3 channel/driver?

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 14:27:18 MST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:49:00PM -0500, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Mike M wrote:
>
> > Sometimes in the so-called unchannelized streams you are informed of
> > where the frame boundry is in the bitstream.  With that information one
> > can create soft-channelization.  Perhaps this is unreasonable for a DS3
> > however.
> Given that its a tough problem to drive current generation of quad-T1
> cards without frame slips, I think doing soft-ds3 stuff is crazy. It could
> be possible given enough buffers...But I think its crazy ;)

By frames slips do you mean that channels get rotated, for example,
channel 0 shows up where you expect channel 2?  Sounds like a driver
issue.

What little I know about Asterisk and what I know about soft-channeling
leads me to agree: crazy.

Besides, until all the TNTs and similar equipment are flushed out of eBay
there's better alternatives.

--
Michael Mueller