[Asterisk-Dev] RTCP-'support'

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Nov 15 22:37:12 MST 2004

At 2:25 AM +0100 on 11/16/04, Filip Olsson wrote:
>The solution to put these thin CQDR's in the userfield isn't at all the
>final solution, it was just a dirty hack to get them out.
>Although the userfield isn't the solution to this, I don't now if a
>separate record is the best one. Why not just put the stuff in the CDR
>but in separate fields?
[snip]

   Sure, that works, but I'm concerned about altering the layout of
the CDR table.  CDRs are (like it or not) being used almost
exclusively as information which is used for feeding billing systems
or other abstract systems which don't particularly address the
technical portions of the call, with the exception of perhaps what
protocol was used.  The number of things that will be measurable in
RTCP or RTCP XR or other metric measurement protocols will quickly
expand, and modifying the basic layout of the CDR table every time
that happens seems to be a recipe for a lot of update pain for
existing users.

   It's just getting crowded, but anyone who is serious about CDRs
should be stuffing them into a database table, anyway.

JT