[Asterisk-Dev] How do I start developing on Asterisk ?

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Mon Nov 15 11:15:17 MST 2004

Amazing,

	I had the exact same thoughts. I have some experience with
medicine myself (broken bones, back surgery, hernia surgery, knife
wounds, etc...)

I would like to start on this field and do my own surgery.

	1. Learn C.
		Asterisk is written in C and if you can't read the code
you can't get information out of it.

	2. Learn mysql.
		See above.

	3. Learn to run Linux.
		 Windows (a great OS for worker bees) won't hack it,
asterisk needs to run on Linux.

	4. Don't write a user interface that is OS specific.
		Write a very good web-based app so everyone can use it.
Most customers do not want your app crashing their asterisk box because
of a Windows error. And you can't do remote monitoring if it is a
windows app.

	5. Arrggghhh.

	You need more studying on how asterisk works and what is
available for it. I am sure someone has done most of this already.

	Start here:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk

	Look to sourceforge.org, the code is probably there.

All hail,

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken