[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 for Asterisk: new version released

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Nov 4 08:01:48 MST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> > - I understand that for commercial reasons, Digium would like to be
> > the only seller of G.729.  That's the way all businesses think - I run
> > a business myself, so I completely understand.  However, this is a
> > global, worldwide marketplace, and offering a competing product is not
> > illegal.  If you don't like that, then consider attending an
> > anti-globalisation protest.
>
> Digium is not stopping anyone from getting their own license from
> ~whoever~ to use/re-license G.729 legally. This is after-all a Digium
> hosted resource we are using, there should be some sort of consideration
> in its usage.
Jeremy,

Once again, you making specious arguments. I asked you yesterday, is this
"asterisk developer's" mailing list or is this "digium marketing" list.

Once again, where will you draw the line for the *code* that is beneficial
for asterisk users globally yet may result in lost revenue for Digium?

Where does 'giving consideration' start and where does it end? Does
'giving consideration' mean that one cannot provide for free services that
Digium makes money on?

-alex