[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 for Asterisk: new version released

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 02:38:50 MST 2004

> So the removal of all references to your URL from the mailing list
> archives is not a loud enough statement for you?

I've actually looked at the archives and they have only removed links to
the binary distribution, the links to the source are still there.
Obviously, it is the binary distribution that is of concern to them,
because it is quite hard to say that it is for educational use, whereas
source code does have legitimate educational benefits.

Furthermore, I'd ask people to consider the following points before
continuing this thread:

- I originally posted to the mailing list on 15/9 advising that I would
be doing this, no one from Digium objected

- I didn't post the source/patches until 24/9

- Intel is distributing G.729 and G.723.1 in source format, I'm just
distributing patches against their code.  So anyone who has accused me
of distributing illegal code has completely missed the point - complain
to Intel if you think they are depriving those poor patent holders of
revenue.

- After Mark's slightly ambiguous post on the matter, I emailled him
personally requesting clarification on whether he was talking about the
binary or the source distribution.  I received no response.  If Digium
formally asks me to stop sharing legitimate source code and patches on
their mailing lists, then I will happily comply.

- I understand that for commercial reasons, Digium would like to be the
only seller of G.729.  That's the way all businesses think - I run a
business myself, so I completely understand.  However, this is a global,
worldwide marketplace, and offering a competing product is not illegal.
If you don't like that, then consider attending an anti-globalisation
protest.

- Patents are only law in some countries.  Asterisk is global and many
of the users and developers are from poorer countries that have been
exploited by the West for centuries.  Their democratically elected
governments have chosen not to endorse patent legislation.  Saying
Asterisk is illegal is a bit like saying driving on the right hand side
of the road is illegal, I'm told it's perfectly normal in some countries
but if you try it here in England you'd be breaking the law.

Please, let's try and stick to the technical development of Asterisk.
None of the postings I've seen on this topic have been 100% right or
100% wrong, so let's stick to topics we do know rather than the
intricacies of international patent legislations.