[Asterisk-Dev] Time to lock down v1.1?

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Fri May 28 10:39:40 MST 2004

> 1.1 (today's head) is more of a "let's try if this works' release.
> Please spend time testing it. Remember, CVS HEAD, is not meant to be
> stable. Now and then, it might not even compile cleanly. It's
> a developer's release, at some point in future aimed to be stable.

Surely this is the reason of most peoples complaints today, all of us who
are using Asterisk in real world, commercial environments get extremely
frustrated when 'key' issues get fixed in the 'head' release, for example,
recent fixes for IAX and SIP voice quality, and are not back ported to the
stable/release/whatever version.

It leaves us in a very difficult position, as commercially we are placing
our users at unnecessary risk by using the 'head' version to get a specific
bug fix, but also giving them poor service if we stick with the 'broken'
version.

Please can those responsible have some understanding of this, as a rule
would it not make sense that all (or at least all major) 'fixes' go into
both after being appropriately tested, and keep 'head' for the more
'bleeding edge' new features and more radical changes etc?

Linus