[Asterisk-Dev] build/make environment

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat May 22 07:58:36 MST 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 23:22, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
> On Friday 21 May 2004 20:10, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > Congratulations.  You're the new maintainer of the autoconf
> > option. And before we hand you the title officially, we need a
> > guarantee that you'll be around for the next 3 years.  In case of
> > death (your own), we expect at least a 90 day advance notice, so
> > we can make plans to gut it or find a replacement maintainer.
>
> I have and autoconf version based on asterisk cvs head here - and
> its pointless with the code the way it is - there are no more
> advantages to it than the current makefile system.

Ah.  Finally, an advocate of autoconf admits what I've always
suspected.

<snippage>

> i'd question why libeditline and berkeleydb are in cvs at all?

Because most people don't have those versions either installed or
in their package management system.

<more snippage>

> People, i think we need to take a stand back, and look what the
> hell we're buulding here - a makeshift shanty house, which keeps
> the rain off our head, or a nice shiny new house, built from the
> gound up well?  code seems to be added and added, and just 'hacked'
> in place - no real design or API's, cetianly nothing people like me
> could reference in a document/mailing list post somewhere.

No real design or APIs?  Funny, I've been coding on Asterisk for two
years, and I've been finding an excellent design and very clear APIs.
Perhaps you need to install doxygen and use it?

> and thats the only reason i'm not spending 4 hours+ a day doign
> things on asterisk (where's the todo list for people like me to
> work on when bored for a few hours/days?) - i can see a million
> thigns that would make life a lot easier for both users and
> developers from both a code and concept point of view.

Interesting.  First "I don't see a TODO list", and second "I have a
TODO list".  So why aren't you contributing?

--
Tilghman