[Asterisk-Dev] OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!! NOT!!!

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 14 09:46:35 MST 2004

> Sadly, the article reads as more bogus than it really is. SIP really is
> weak. RTP stream are almost universally unencrypted right now. Listening
> in to a VoIP within your company is generally much easier than snooping
> on a traditional call. I wonder how long it will take before encryption,
> solid authentication, and other good stuff becomes widely deployed for VoIP?

I don't disagree with the above at all, however as one person that does
security assessments, I've got to wonder how many sip/iax/h323/xxx implementations
are actually exposed to the Internet with unreasonable configuration settings.
I'd have to guess that something on the order of 70% of the exposed
implementations (or more) are left after the person 'finally got something
to work', and few have a clue how to secure those exposures. (I know, has
nothing to do with encryption, etc.)

It wouldn't take a lot of effort to scan IP addresses looking for two specific
udp port numbers (and a little password guessing in some cases) to find
open machines to make long distance calls from.

Its my opinion (for whatever that might be worth) that some additional
focus (and documentation) should be completed that would help newbies
and others secure there existing exposures way before worrying about
encryption, DoS, conversation monitoring, etc.