[Asterisk-Dev] OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!! NOT!!!

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 14 07:48:31 MST 2004

Rob Gagnon wrote:

>:-)  Didnt know you were gonna share this bit of mis-information, but it
>would be nice for people using Asterisk to send the author some
>knowledge....
>
>I love this part "According to a prominent networking and security pal of
>mine-who wished to remain nameless..."
>
>That is the worst form of journalism....  It's called making stuff up, and
>having no source

Sadly, the article reads as more bogus than it really is. SIP really is
weak. RTP stream are almost universally unencrypted right now. Listening
in to a VoIP within your company is generally much easier than snooping
on a traditional call. I wonder how long it will take before encryption,
solid authentication, and other good stuff becomes widely deployed for VoIP?

Regards,
Steve