[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Forking Contacts?

Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) lwc at roke.co.uk
Thu May 13 04:53:46 MST 2004

Hi Folks,
   for the more touchy list members, I apologise if they think
that this is the wrong list - I was in two minds myself.

Bjoern of Ingate raised the issue of Contact headers, and Olle
kindly pointed out that * is not a forking proxy (and asked for
sip2 feedback - duly noted, and will do).

The reflex answer to this is "use SER as a front end & Asterisk
as a back end for individual extensions and interface/channel cards".

However, this triggered a few random neural firings:
* is perfectly fine to act as a SIP proxy and in turn to register
with an external proxy. But...
I don't see how one can control that external registration so that
it isn't made if there is not a tied/associated "internal" registration
from a SIP UA to an * extension.

Thus (i) can this be done (i.e. trigger an external registration with a
remote server in response to an internal SIP extension registering with
*)?
(ii) If not, then do we want to consider developing forking (i.e.
multiple
registrations/bindings for a single extension), and how difficult is it?
It seems to me that something LIKE forking can be done with agent
groups,
but there are pretty major differences, IMHO.

Forgive these random comments, but I'm really not sure.

all the best
   Lawrence

Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk

Registered Office: Roke Manor Research Ltd, Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell,
Berkshire. RG12 8FZ

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.