[Asterisk-Dev] Where to get 48 volt Power Supplies for Cisco IP Phones

Terence Parker terence at parker.com.hk
Wed May 12 07:37:59 MST 2004

That's a good point - I hadn't really considered POE for some reason. We
have a few of the official Cisco POE's for travel purposes, but other than
that we're just using our 48v convertor.

Just out of interest - what happens when you plug a POE enabled switch into
a non-POE IP phone, as some of our are? Would this fry the phone? I also
assume that a POE switch costs quite a bit more than a standard switch?

Certainly well worth considering though to avoid the hassle of laying
separate cables.....

Now if only IP phone manufacturers would all stick to the standards and use
48V for their power requirements.

- Terence