[Asterisk-Dev] cisco 7940/7960 call_stats logging

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue May 11 11:44:25 MST 2004

Having this type of functionality in the CDR records would really be
great.  I wish all devices spit out this type of message.  A few
hours with Perl and RRDTool and some very, very interesting graphs
could be put together showing call quality based on network range,
time of day, type of UA, etc.  Also interesting would be the
statistics from Asterisk's perspective if the media stream were
flowing through Asterisk.  In other words, in a media stream that
goes between two endpoints (IAX2, or SIP, or H.323, or whatever) we
have:

   UA A <-> * <-> UA2

Now, Asterisk can collect some statistics on both legs of those calls
if we choose to have the media stream go through Asterisk.  Can those
be collected in a similar way and inserted into the CDR?  Maybe
another log file, perhaps called "CQDR" should be created that
captures this data and associated replies from remote devices like
the Ciscos.  Even a single leg call (between a UA and an Asterisk
server with a PRI card) should be able to provide those stats from
the perspective of Asterisk, without any requirement of the UA to
collect and deliver those stats back to * in the BYE message.

Of course, if we were using RTCP and keeping media streams on the
server, we could also fetch similar events through RTCP statistics.
See the archives for some discussion of this last year.

This is (from my non-C-experienced viewpoint) a fairly major
development task.  However, it does seem obvious that Asterisk needs
to have some call quality measurement in order to be compared against
the "big boys" of the VoIP world, if only so that an Asterisk admin
can point to a graph and say "See?  Call quality is great with my
free software, and I can identify problem customers almost
immediately - how is your million-dollar system doing?"  And it's
something that would be useful and universally applicable across all
channel types that involved VoIP of some type.  Any takers?  :-)

JT