[Asterisk-Dev] Ethernet buffering problems causing jitter

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Mar 19 09:41:43 MST 2004

> IPRoute2 and TC interacts only on outgoing packets, not incoming.
> So, you must be carefull about traffic assertations.

Um, you can't control incoming packets, period.  That's why I said it is
essential to have control over the outgoing traffic at each end of the link
in order to ensure that the transmission hardware isn't what's doing the
buffering.

You can police incoming traffic but once it's already at your end it's too
late to do anything about it, except drop it if it's TCP traffic and you're
trying to cause the sending-side to back off in an attempt at keeping the
traffic rate below the level that the transmission hardware starts
buffering, as I mentioned in my last email.

>  3) iproute2 and tc estimators are statistics and they depend on some
> hardware specifications. A good example is "near wire-speed transfer".
> Please, refer to HTB tutorial  (http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/) and
> LARTC (lartc.org)

Agreed, and now the links are in the archvies.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew