[Asterisk-Dev] iax2 RSA authentication

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Mar 15 05:04:54 MST 2004

I tried to document the RSA public/private key authentication of IAX2 channels
on the wiki. Please read through and correct me if I'm wrong, thank you.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20iax%20rsa%20auth

I feel that the RSA auth within IAX2 is a strong selling point. However, to
be used it needs to be explained...

Some comments:
* The variables in iax.conf for keys are inconsistent - inkeys and outkey
   Could be "inkey" and "outkey", or maybe the other way around, since we're
   using two keys outbound.
* There's a comment in res_crypto about crashes and thread safety that worries me.
* On the wiki page I propose a small change to astgenkey to disable pass phrases. T
   he password input routine doesn't work well with automatic restarts of Asterisk.
   Even though not using a passphrase for the key is a security risk, I don't want
   asterisk to wait for keyboard input after a power failure.

Again, comments and suggestions are welcome :-)

/Olle