[Asterisk-Dev] Asteriks Linux HowTo

Jim Burnes jim.burnes at gwl.com
Mon Mar 8 13:19:09 MST 2004

Hi,

I have been going through the various pieces of online documentation
for * and was looking for something approaching an Asterisk Linux
HowTo.  This should probably be directed more to the users list, but
developers are good to ask about docs.  I used to do development all
the time.  Frequently excellent nuggets of documentation are just
hiding around in their heads ;-)

I'm just bringing Asterisk online for the first time and bumped into
a wierd issue.  The OSS sound channel doesn't want to come online.
It said that either /dev/dsp didn't exist or it was locked (if you
have artsd running, kill it).

I hate killing a sound server unless I really have to....so I re-ran it
with OSS disabled and ALSA turned on.  ALSA channel came up, but for some
reason the dial command was then disabled -- maybe cuz my alsa subsystem were
not completely online.  I don't know.

All I'm really trying to do is do a sanity check on Asterisk to make sure
its running correctly.  Maybe I should forget about local sound and just
config to talk to the SIP soft phone on my laptop for initial checkout.

Any suggestions welcome.

BTW: I went through a decent amount of system docs and * looks moderately
clean.  Should be easy enough to back end a GUI into it.  I'm thinking
of a Twisted server-side backend with a Twisted front end and PyQT GUI.

It should work nicely.

But first, I've got to get it running manually ;-)

Jim Burnes