[Asterisk-Dev] enumLookup

Aaron J. Angel aaron at angel-family.com
Wed Jun 30 17:30:55 MST 2004

Duane wrote:
> Andreas Bayer wrote:
>> Is it possibile to use a non-number string for lookups?
>> Could i use my bind to resolve things like "john-doo.[mydomain].com"
>> and get an TEL-entry??
>
> I doubt that would even work, if the RFC was complied with, enum is for
> numbers to names, not names to numbers... You'd possibly need to
> suggest/code something else other then enum...

The ENUM application is intended for E.164 to URI resolution.  The NAPTR
record type, however, is not specific to ENUM; ENUM is simply an
application of NAPTR records.

Part 4 of DDDS (RFC 3404) describes a method for URI resolution, such as
would be required to resolve, e.g., SIP addresses to E.164 numbers (aka,
"reverse ENUM").  Of course, I'm sure this could be deployed in a
private domain similar to how e164.org has done with their E.164 to URI
resolution service.

See the message below for some more detailed discussion.

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/enum/current/msg02130.html