[Asterisk-Dev] RE: [Asterisk-cvs] zaptel README.Linux26,1.2,1.3zaptel.h,1.33,1.34

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Jun 30 10:00:19 MST 2004

James Golovich [james at wwnet.net] wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > malcolmd at lists.digium.com wrote (CVS log):
> > >
> > > Also comment out the DEVFS compile
> > > warning for post 2.4 systems running DEVFS (Gentoo)
> > >
> > Why was this done?  The warning could be useful for anyone attempting
> > to build Zaptel for a 2.6 kernel that has devfs enabled.  This is
> > especially true for Gentoo, which has devfs enabled by default.
> >
> > Switching off the warning will just lead to problems later.
> >
> Actually dropping the warnings won't do anything at all because we just
> don't use devfs with 2.6.  If we detect that DEVFS is enabled we simply
> undefine it and don't use it, otherwise the code won't compile.

On Gentoo, more work needs to be done to work without devfs, such as
"emerge udev".  It's not a lot of work, but the warning would help
to alert people that something may need to be done.  After all, Gentoo
was cited as the reason for dropping the warning.

The code will compile with or without the warning.  I'm just saying
that the warning could be helpful to some people and may help to avoid
newbie install problems in the future.

If the warning is to remain out of the Makefile then perhaps a note
in the README.Linux26 would be of benefit.  I would suggest that both
the warning and the README note should be present.

> If someone wants to contribute DEVFS support for 2.6 I'm sure it would
> make it into cvs, but I don't see anyone wasting any time on it
> considering DEVFS is considered obsolete in 2.6

I'm sure nobody needs devfs support in 2.6. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz