[Asterisk-Dev] IRQ misses and crackles during disk activity

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sun Jun 13 22:41:44 MST 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, John Matthews wrote:

> I am using an E100P with all the latest asterisk and zaptel versions
> (0.9.1). I carefully ensured that my E100P wasn't sharing interrupts with
> any other devices in my system. Problem is that I get the occasional crackle
> during phone conversations. Looking deeper the crackles are always
> associated with IRQ misses which seem to occur when data is being
> read/written to the disk. Crackles always occur when the disk active LED on
> my PC is blinking. Running patlooptest (with a loopback adapter fitted to
> the card) shows essentially the same thing ie) data errors at times when my
> disk is active. It occurred to me that the fault may lie as much with the
> disk drivers as with the E100P. If they were disabling interrupts for
> "lengthy" periods then it wouldn't be surprising that the E100P was not able
> to service its interrupts in a timely manner. My system is fitted with a
> standard IDE disk. If anyone has a system that works without crackles and
> IRQ misses please could you let me know what type of disks you are using.

The ide driver in Linux is run with other interupts disabled by default.
Use "hdparm -u1 /dev/hdX" to enable other interrupts while serving the ide
drives.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv at psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF