[Asterisk-Dev] AGI Scripting encountering "Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken pipe " with Music On Hold disabled.

Kraig Beahn kraigb at synips.com
Sat Jun 12 23:59:34 MST 2004

I am using NetCat to connect to a remote host to control the AGI scripting module of Asterisk. Intermittently Asterisk will die with the error:
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken pipe
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken pipe

I read in a lot of other lists that it may be related to the Music On Hold mpg123 app. Disabled the MOH module and have the same results, seems only to occur when NetCat terminates and returns control to the AGI script.

Here is the AGI script example:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/nc 127.0.0.1 5001
exit 0;

We added the exit 0; at the end of the script because it seems as thought netcats error codes were being transfered back to Asterisk and causing all sorts of fun issues. With the "exit 0;" in place, we seem not to have any issues with the exception of the error as mentioned above and reguardless of how we configure the unit it always seems to be a problem.

The System is a RedHat 8.0 Kernel 2.4 Intel Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz, 4GB RD-RAM and an Adaptec Raid-5 configuration (180GB) drive array.

We are trying to demo this system in hopes of bringing a corporate solution with the Zaptel cards for all of our 5000+ PBX users nationwide.

Any Ideas, the brick wall is starting to hurt? :-)