[Asterisk-Dev] STUN support

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jun 8 13:32:05 MST 2004

Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> David Beckemeyer wrote:
>
>> I've seen a few discussions of potential projects to add STUN support
>> to Asterisk.  Is there any work being done on this?  This would be
>> a huge plus to be able to get Asterisk to work behind NATs more or
>> less automatically.
>>
>> I'd be interested in helping fund such work, if there is a developer
>> out there that might be interested.

> There is absolutely no need for STUN support in Asterisk. nat=yes,
> problem solved.

Sorry to rebuke you Jerry, but you are wrong in this case.

nat=yes doesn't solve the outbound problem, when using asterisk as a
sip client inside a NAT.

We need stun support for that situation to figure out what kind of
NAT we have between us and the SIP proxy, and to set the proper
IP address (the IP address of the NAT's public side).

A STUN client *will* help us automatically replace the
localnet/externip settings we have today.

A stun server can be run alongside with Asterisk on the same server
today if your SIP clients (inside a NAT device) need STUN.

And no, I am not aware of anyone developing a STUN client for Asterisk.

/O