[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Creating An Asterisk Data Model

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Sat Jun 5 03:58:24 MST 2004

On Saturday 29 May 2004 02:20, Ray Burkholder wrote:
> I've been working on implementing such a project.  The basics for much
> of this stuff is in place.
>
> I have the basic double entry accounting tables in place for handling
> sales orders, invoicing, shopping cart, AR, AP, GL.
>
> Basic telephony tables are in place to handle atomic services such as
> origination, termination, did numbers, corporate dial plan, per
> extension feature handling, voicemail, etc.  There is a then a 'package'
> table that allows a mix and match of atomic services to make a service
> provider offering.
>
> A user self-provisions various services through a web based interface.
> Services are selected and placed on an order, then invoiced.  In a
> prepaid scenario, and deposit has to be applied before provisioning
> takes place.  On post paid accounts, provisioning can happen right away.
>
> Provisioning is simply a matter of enabling the atomic services selected
> via the package.
>
> Incoming calls are directed via a double AGI step, the first identifies
> the inbound DID and it's generic call processing script.  That specific
> script is then started to handle the specifics of that DID's
> 'character'.
>
> Termination is handled in a similar manner.  There are various calling
> plans to which one may subscribe.  The context:script handling that
> terminating call authorizes the termination if the account is active,
> otherwise not if it is suspended or some such.  Then the appropriate
> rating table is pulled up to rate and route the call.
>
> At call completion, a manager interface pulls out the cdr, figures out
> the account and service type, and throws it into a sales order.  Account
> status is updated at this time to reflect balances available for further
> calls and such.
>
> The user can review their sales orders and invoices at any time and
> apply payments.  On a regular basis, the system post sales orders to
> invoices and submits email reminders for payments.
>
> Accounting is built in but I've been considering accelerating that by
> connecting up with open source accounting such as Compiere.
>
> The solution runs on a minimum of 3+n servers.  A base system is
> composed of:
>   * SQL server, currently PostgreSQL
>   * Apache web server running a bunch of Mason/Perl scripts
>   * Asterisk server with ip and tdm termination and more Perl call
> processing scripts
>
> All scripts and configurations are CVS'd to facilitate server rebuilding
> and expansion.

- --snip--

> Now the question that comes to my mind is that it would be interesting
> to share the solution as alpha as it may be in order to accelerate
> development and improvement, but still be able to glean some dollars off
> it.
>
> That is a hard question.

It is, but as you, Steven and myself all appear to be independently working
towards similar goals, it makes sense to chare the code. I think you choices
of both Postgres and perl are good ones and Compiere is a good idea, although
something that I have currently left out on the grounds that I don't know
enough about accounting systems :-)

Cheers
- --

Peter Nixon