[Asterisk-Dev] voicemail message number limits

Justin jufineath at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 14:13:50 MST 2004

can you point out, specifically, what section of the gpl you believe
is being violated, with some specific example of a violation?

i think the key point you are missing here is that, because digium
holds copyright to asterisk, they are able to issue as many licenses
to it as they see fit. just because one of those licenses is gpl, does
not mean the other licenses are invalid.

i point you at section ten of the gpl:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
"If you wish to incorporate parts of the [gpled] Program into other
free programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to
the author to ask for permission. For software which is copyrighted by
the Free Software Foundation, write to the Free Software Foundation;
we sometimes make exceptions for this. Our decision will be guided by
the two goals of preserving the free status of all derivatives of our
free software and of promoting the sharing and reuse of software
generally."

this, to me, clearly indicates understanding that software, or a bit
of code - even gpled - may be released under a different license
legally while still being released under the gpl license, as long as
the copyright holders agree to the second license. in the example of
this included in section ten of the gpl, the person changing the
license is someone who has received the original code with a gpl
licensed application - just like the case we have here with asterisk.

please stop talking about your 'authority' on this matter. you have no
authority. your opinion is just that, an opinion. it seems to be quite
the minority opinion and has been well debunked. you haven't backed it
up with anything other than allusions to your erudition. if you
haven't even read the gpl in its entirety, your tuition is obviously
false and useless - and no claim of experience makes it any less so.

if you think cvs mirrors, a fork of the current gpl source or anything
else would be beneficial, then by all means, get the projects going...
that's what open source is for. but please, stop biting the hand that
feeds with specious allegations.