[Asterisk-Dev] EAGI Help

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jul 29 12:49:53 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 12:03, Ben Merrills wrote:
> Seems like it would be a nice feature.

Maybe, maybe not....

> I personally am rather poor at c, and being able to write an EAGI in
> another language, and be able to stream audio back into the channel from
> the EAGI would have been excellent!

That could be a lot of data to stream if we stuck to a SLINEAR data
stream. Probably wouln't scale too well. In fact, I'm not sure how well
the EAGI streaming out audio will scale.

> Seems like something that would benefit Asterisk quite a bit to me...
> might encourage more development from those who wouldn't consider it
> normally?! Seems to me that's partly what the whole AGI ethos is about,
> simple integration with Asterisk.

AGI is not necessarily about integration. It can be used that way just
as your forehead CAN be used as a hammering device. AGI allows you to
get in and do more complex directing of the core of asterisk to get a
task accomplished.

> Having said this, if you can't write audio back to a channel from an
> EAGI then I'm going to have to figure it out in C, which isn't a
> pleasant prospect.

While you may not consider it pleasant, to the rest of us, it is nice
that you will take that on. If you have something of worth, the fact
that it is written into asterisk as a C app means you are obliged to
share it if distributed and we all gain.

Too many easy audio outs/ins means it would become very easy for people
to write proprietary apps that don't get shared with the community.