[Asterisk-Dev] tethereal SIP debug hints (was: SIP Interworking)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Jul 27 11:03:48 MST 2004

At 10:11 AM +0200 on 7/27/04, Holger Schurig wrote:
>I also found the trace SIP and RTP trace of ethereal sometimes more usable
>then what i get from the "sip debug" command.
>
>With the ethereal command line tool, I usually do "tethereal -V host
><ip.number.of.the.phone>" or "tethereal host <ip.number.of.the.phone> and
>port 5060" if I'm not interested in RTP.
>
>In the ethereal GUI you can enter the "host ..." filter mask as well.

In this same discussion: is there any way to have tethereal avoid
presenting much of the lower-layer link stuff?  I'd like to use the
-V option more, but there is such a volume of data that it makes
debugging difficult.  I'd like to just see the src/dst IP address,
and then the payload data in "cooked" form.  I haven't found a way to
make tethereal less verbose about ethernet, IP, UDP, etc data which
is really unnecessary when doing protocol debugging and development.

JT