[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Is anyone thinking anymore?

Dr. Rich Murphey rich at WhiteOakLabs.com
Sun Jul 25 15:16:39 MST 2004

Plus, when an attacker smashes the stack or heap, overwriting that constant,
strncpy() blocks a potential route of further attack.

This may seem to be a petty contribution to security, but every layer of
prevention helps reinforce surrounding layers.

Asterisk is already a popular target, so it's not unreasonable to expect
hackers to help us identify all the low hanging fruit (vulnerabilities).  By
closing these potential paths for vulnerabilities, we further focus their
efforts on identifying less trivial vulnerabilities.

Rich