[Asterisk-Dev] voicemail message number limits

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Jul 25 10:22:01 MST 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 11:07, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Andy Powell wrote:
> > Before this thread turns into a complete yawnfest (oops too late)
> > can I ask if it's safe to make the assumption that everything in
> > the CVS source tree is GPL? IE  if I approached Digium/Mark with
> > some code would he refuse to add it to CVS if it was not GPL
> > (aside from the disclaimer issue)? Is the fact that it is in CVS
> > indicative of it's licencing being GPL?
>
> He would refuse to merge it not because it wasn't distributed under
> the GPL, but because the copyright holder of that code had not
> signed over copyright of the code to Digium. If the copyright
> holder of that code is willing to sign over to Digium, then any
> license(s) that code may have been previously distributed under are
> completely irrelevant.

No, he would refuse to merge it, because it wasn't DISCLAIMED to
Digium.  Granting a specific license and assigning copyright are two
very different things.  NEITHER of the disclaimers currently in use by
Digium assign your copyright to Digium.

> As is stands today, here is the situation (except for maybe
> asterisk-addons):
>
> - Everything in the CVS tree is copyrighted by Digium. This is true
> whether Digium created the code or not, because they don't take
> contributions without copyright assignment.

That is patently false.  Cut, SayUnixTime, and several other
applications that I've written are copyright Tilghman Lesher.  I've
only granted a license to Digium for them to do whatever they like
with the code (including releasing it under the GPL, for public
consumption).

> - Digium chooses to distribute all the code in CVS under the GPL,
> as is their right since they are the copyright holder. All of that
> code can be used in any fashion that the GPL allows.

It is their right as both copyright holder for much of the code, as
well as the grants of license given to them by various contributors.

> - Digium will not put anything into the CVS tree that cannot be
> distributed under the terms of the GPL.

Digium will not put anything into the CVS tree that is not free and
clear of obligations, be those obligations GPL, patent, trademark,
copyright, or otherwise.

--
Tilghman