Asterisk licensing (was Re: [Asterisk-Dev] voicemail message number limits)

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sun Jul 25 02:46:42 MST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> Also, actually IIRC, it's possible to link gpl code with non gpl code as
> long as you don't redistribute the binaries. So I can link mysql with
> g729 if I want as long as I don't redistribute the resulting binary.

There may actaully be some problems with the concept of "contribuatory
infringement". That is the position asserted by those gpl:ed projects who
do _not_ agree that it is allowed to add hooks (such as symbols e.g.) that
allow even a non-distributor to link gpl and non-gpl code.

The safe way is to dual-license, I think. IANAL and I think not even all
lawyers agree to how the gpl would be interpreted if even in court.
Playing it safe is a good advice.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv at psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF