[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Asterisk Book Reviewer

Thu Jul 22 03:17:05 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 18:48, steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Kevin Walsh wrote:
>
> > I could be wrong, but this seems to me as if the old company went
> > bankrupt simply to avoid having to pay off the massive debt it had
> > managed to run up;  It probably expected to be able to simply shut down
> > the company and then start a new one with the same management, staff,
> > authors and a clean slate.  If someone advised the management team that
> > that trick would be easy to pull off then they were sadly misinformed.
>

> If your creditors want their money back, and you can't pay, and your total
> assets can't cover it, then its not you who chooses whether you are
> bankrupt or not.  You are.

As an owner of a small business, I can see how a business can mean so much to
the owner. You start small, put blood, sweat, and many tears into building
"Your Business". Then you hire staff, whether they are casual/permanent, you
"owe" them job stability, you have a responsibility to them, and it hurts when
you "reduce staff" etc....

So, eventually you hit some wall, things don't work, the bank calls in your debts,
and you are now bankrupt. I imagine (never been there myself, and I hope I
never am!), that sometime after the dust settles, you might see some dirty bits
that helped to create the eventual downfall. You might think that maybe, if you
tried again, with all the same good bits, but without the bad bits, you really
could succeed and 'make it'.

Sure, you will have left a 'bad taste' in consumers and other business
relationships, but perhaps it isn't always so well deserved. Of course,
there are always the people that will say something bad, even about a good
person, and there are always people who will say something nice, even about
a bad person...

So, all we can do is base our own opinion on the 'warnings' from a couple of people,
the 'hey we are good' from the current employee, and our own basic judgement.

I firmly believe in karma, (what you sow is what you reap, what goes around comes
around, etc).

So, I didn't mean to say whether these people are good/bad, simply to point out
that I can understand how your own business might end badly, and yet you still
want to start again. (PS, some quote from somewhere goes something like this:
All great successes start with many failures).

Regards,
Adam