[Asterisk-Dev] Multiple IP's For sip.

Shannon Mitchell shannonm at merlintechs.com
Fri Jul 16 06:41:33 MST 2004

I've not used it myself, but I did go to the linux-ha website and found
this.

 "Fake allows you to take over the IP address of another machine in the
LAN by bringing up an additional interface and making use of ARP
spoofing. The additional interface can be either a physical interface or
an IP alias."

Why even bother with the problems that the second card is giving you,
use an ip alias(multi-homing).  Heres a quick run of how you would go
about doing it in either Solaris or Redhat:

Solaris:

1> make an entry into the /etc/hosts file for the new ip.
2> create a new hostname file with the name you gave the ip in the hosts
file. The file will look like the regular file for that interface with
an :X appended to the end of it.  I usually make X the same number as
the last octet of the ip address.  For example if you have a file called
/etc/hostname.hme0 for your main network card, you will make a new one
called /etc/hostname.hme0:1 file that holds the name you gave in the
hosts file.
3> after that you can either is ifconfig to bring the device up, or
reboot the computer

Redhat:

Redhat works much like solaris, but the config files are located in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  So if you have a ifcfg-eth0 file in
that directory for your main network device, you could add a new one
called ifcfg-eth0:1.  Just make sure that the "DEVICE" line has eth0:1
in it also when configuring the file.  Once that is complete all you
have to do is run "/sbin/ifup eth0:1" or reboot the computer.