[Asterisk-Dev] Zaptel Drivers Refuse to Compile on Sparc. (Was Half Installed on Sparc)

dking at pimpsoft.com dking at pimpsoft.com
Thu Jul 15 00:48:15 MST 2004

That was my goal as well since I can not offered anything else, like many others out there.

After weeks of looking into this I  believe I know why it will not work.

The problem is a number of things including the asterisk zaptel driver code, added with bad support for digium hardware on anything not a i86.
.
The fact is that the makefiles are broken. They are severely outdated and use a now considered invalid and obsolete -march= line for architecture targeting instead of the correct -mcpu. Also from the error output of the assembler the driver code uses some SPARC assembler (I have not looked into this yet) and will not allow anyone to use the correct -mcpu=ultrasparc line needed to compile for that hardware. If you try it conflicts with the generated output asm from the code and errors out. Since the kernel needs
the modules used in it to be compiled for the exact same arch as it was this is creating a problem, and that is why you and I as well as the many other people out there with the same problem is getting these errors.

If you can get them compiled for the exact same arch and bit as your kernel they will work, But  currently even with my modified makefiles the zaptel FXO card drivers will only compile into 32 or 64 bit SPARC binaries instead of the  32 or 64 bit SPARC v9 that you and I need for a UltraSparc cpu since kernels are always compiled for 64 bit if possible with the user land being 32 bit for performance reasons.

What someone needs to do is fix the sparc asm so it can be compiled correctly cross sparc or convert it to C code so the assembler can target the arch at command; Unfortunately the people who could do this are either choosing not to since they feel it would hurt there companies sales of pre-built asterisk servers, or can’t due to the insipid need to fax paperwork into digium before you can contribute, and not everyone can do so; In essence asterisk is killing itself and that is why it currently needs digium as a
company to support it to survive.

I happen to be one of these people; I would love to help with at least my makefiles but am unable to do the paperwork; Its very frustrating and I hate it.

I hope you don't mind but I forwarded this to the asterisk-dev mailing list after removing your real name as well out of respect for your privacy, maybe someone who can sign the paperwork will help and either way this will eb added to the archives for others to see and perhaps help with the problem.