[Asterisk-Dev] How IAX workd behind the firewall

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Mon Jul 12 00:21:48 MST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:12:51 +1000
Adam Hart <adam at teragen.com.au> wrote:

..deleted

> > Actually, with SIP you will need 3 ports.   1 for control (5060) and two for RTP.
> >

> That's H.323 I believe, SIP just uses one RTP port as stated in SDP payloads

Nope - fully compliant RTP requires both the control and data ports.

Of course, an implementation may chose to be non-compliant and not
implement RTCP, but then another endpoint is free to stop the call if it
it does not respond. Cisco gateways are notorious for doing this.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs at postincrement.com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com      ICQ: #86852844
 Jabber: CraigS at jabber.voxgratia.org   Blog: http://www.southeren.com/blog
 PGP :http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt