[Asterisk-Dev] channel driver sample - Coding/Transcoding/Conferences

Dr. Rich Murphey rich at WhiteOakLabs.com
Sun Jul 4 15:40:35 MST 2004

> [mailto:asterisk-dev-admin at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of John Todd
> Even if I
> just had seven really cheap ($800) PC's, each with a 4-port
> T410P handing their traffic off TDMoE to one DSP-capable
> system - that would reduce my costs quite a bit, rather than
> buying seven $2800 dual-processor Xeons to get G.729 and
> questionable echo cancellation.  Let's say that DSP card cost
> me $1500 - I'm still very far ahead.  Heck, I could even buy
> TWO complete DSP systems for redundancy and STILL be saving ~$10000.

Where is the bottleneck on a dual xeon with T410P cards without transcoding?

Where is the bottleneck when transcoding is used on all channels?

If two 4-port TDM cards are the recommended maximum, does the interrupt rate
limit performance, or is it something else?

I hope to be able to test some of this at some point in the near future.
I'm still gathering the last few parts for a dual xeon to do so.

Rich