[Asterisk-Dev] What would be the best Operating System to use with Asterisk

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 17:11:24 MST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Brian West wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity what do RH8/9 do that makes h.323 so much easier on them?
> >
> > Nothing. Like any other sufficiently modern linux distribution, they
> > just happen to include the base.
>
> That has nothing to do with it.. the GCC on the new distros blow up h323
> and it will not work.  So using RH8/9 have known good compilers that don't
> cause chan_h323 to blow up.

I had problems compiling and running H323 on RH9, vanilla install and it took
forever and when starting up, loading the h323 shared libraries took quite a few
seconds.. i had this on OpenH323, GnuGK, Asterisk. I never figured out the
problem (didnt look to hard tbh) but switching to 7.3 which was what I had used
on the development platform fixed the issues.

I've had other issues on RH9, again dont know the root cause but for me its easy
enough to use the older release and spend an hour bringing packages up to date.

Steve