[Asterisk-Dev] STUN - Asterisk integration efforts

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Tue Jan 20 12:39:15 MST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:24:58PM -0500, Paul Winkeler wrote:
> Some time ago someone posted they were working on integrating STUN client
> logic into Asterisk.  Has any more progress been made in this area?  I don't
> want to reinvent the wheel and would be just as glad to help out in any
> on-going efforts in this area.

I believe that this came up in the context of implementing
NAT traversal for SIP. The patch to do this statically from
bug #104 has been integrated, but of course there are situations
in which STUN would work better -- such as when you don't know
the hostname or IP address for the outside interface of your
firewall.

I looked briefly at the STUN code, and it was some monstrous
C++ thing. But I have some suggestions about how it might
be implemented, but these are just suggestions:

 - it should be its own module, maybe res_stun.c
 - it should hook somehow into the ast_ouraddrfor() routines
   so that it can be taken advantage of by anything that
   uses those routines rather than just chan_sip

It would be nice to have such support, and as far as I know
no further progress has been made. So happy hacking!

-w
--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email