[Asterisk-Dev] Active call information

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Jan 3 12:46:32 MST 2004

As noted, there does seem to be a way to send encrypted passwords in
the transaction, but I prefer total encryption of TCP streams versus
just encrypting the authentication information.  Until such
encryption is built into Asterisk, I would suggest that you use SSH
port forwarding as an interim solution to the problem.  "man ssh" and
look at the section labelled "remote port forwarding" to get a better
idea of how to use this feature.  With this hint, you should be able
to figure it out yourself and I hope that this thread will not
devolve into a tutorial of how to use ssh, since there is more than
adequate documentation available via Google and man pages on this
technique.

Your management machine would execute something like this, after
setting up null keys on both systems and creating the appropriate
authorized_users file in user "asterisk" on the remote asterisk
system:

ssh -L 5038:myasterisk.server.com:5038 -l asterisk myasterisk.server.com

Then, just telnet to 127.0.0.1:5038 on the manager machine and you'll
be connected to the appropriate port on the remote asterisk system.
Additionally, this lets you simplify your firewall lists by making
everything connect through port 22 (ssh) instead of opening Yet
Another Pinhole.

JT