[Asterisk-Dev] SUBSCRIBE support

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 1 12:17:49 MST 2004

Maybe this is just the beginning efforts of this feature.  It really
needs to be tied into:
registration state, busy/idle state, and DND state to be really useful.
See more below...

Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> Thanks to pointers on the mailing list, I fired up Windows Messenger
> and added contacts.
> First everything was online, since my default sip users context
> matched everything, in order
> to be able to call anyone everwhere on the net. So I added a special
> context for subscriptions,
> and now I see the extensions.
>
> However, the Asterisk sip channel, check IF THE EXTENSION EXISTS and
> then delivers information
> on telephone state - BUSY, Available etc.
>
> If a SIP user isn't registred, he's still available on an extension
> level since his voice messages
> is transferred to voice mail. The PBX doesn't know he's not there,
> really. The extension still exists.
>
> With a Windows Messenger, I would like to know if he's not there.
> Still available to call to
> for voicemail, but not on line....
>
> Anyway, obviously the SUBSCRIBE support wasn't written for Messenger.
> Someone else can't check
> the status of my connection with SUBSCRIBE, since he or she can't
> authorize himself.

Actually it does.  Windows Messenger 5.0, MSN Messenger 4.6/4.7 support
SIP and partially support SIMPLE.
We use the SIP Messenger versions where I work on our own SIP products
to do: Caller-ID of incoming calls with
the option to answer (multiple-contact per account supported required),
phone presence (Messenger has limited
enumerations for states and is sort of proprietary) and SIP instant
messaging.

During my prototyping phase of a SIMPLE presence and messaging server, I
reversed engineered MSN Messenger and
added support for this client until we could write our own fully
compliant client apps ourself.  Take a look at this message
flow for some hints.  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/messenger.txt