[Asterisk-Dev] Features requests on bugs.digium.com

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Dec 31 10:39:57 MST 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 02:32, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Thu Dec 30, 2004 at 11:34:14PM -0600, Josh Roberson wrote:
> > The problem that we are facing is that the bug
> > tracker, which was meant to track BUGS for asterisk, as turned more into
> > a repository for feature requests and feature adding patches.  I do not,
> > for one, feel this is a place for these, and neither do most of the
> > other bug marshals i've spoken to about this.    We need another system
> > for handling such requests/patchces, and leave the patches that are on
> > the bugtracker to be bug fixing patches, and bug reports.
>
> What is the problem with using the Bug Tracker for feature requests? Does
> it plain not work, or is it that the bug marshalls don't want to see them?

A bit of history on this:  a few months ago, Mark felt there were too many
bugs open on the bugtracker and threatened to shut down new reports if the
total number were not quickly reduced.  I don't remember the exact number,
but 200 open reports sticks in my mind.  The bug marshals (and I'm one of
them, so you can take it as you will) felt that to comply with this order
meant that we had to find other places for feature requests, bounties, etc.,
which at the time were all tracked by Mantis.

I personally disagree with Josh (twisted) on whether new features with patches
ought to be on the bugtracker; indeed, the collective decision seemed to be
that new features could probably be applied (and closed) quickly, thus we
allowed them to stay on Mantis.

While I may disagree with Mark from time to time about design decisions, I do
note that Mantis is running on his (Digium's) equipment and bandwidth, and I
respect his decision to keep the number of open bugs low.

--
Tilghman