[Asterisk-Dev] iax2 encryption

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Dec 29 23:46:14 MST 2004

Mark Spencer wrote:
> I've just added some basically operational IAX2 encryption, more for a
> talking point than anything else.  It seems to work okay but I'd like to
> get some feedback.

I wonder how one would contrive a test to see that the stream is in fact
being encrypted.

I built two copies of CVS-HEAD, verified that the encryption stuff is
there, and then enabled it on an IAX-to-IAX channel I use here in my lab.

I then fired up Ethereal to see what I could see.

The traces look pretty much identical; e.g. I could see the full frames,
DTMF digits, etc., in each.  Turning on iax debugging didn't indicate
anything unusual on either side, nor did I find anything in the messages
log.

I'm prolly showing my ignorance here, but would like to move beyond,
"OK; I set "encryption=yes" in my iax.conf entry for this connection, so
now my IAX-based calls are secure."

Thx.

B.