[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 Receiver Reports

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Wed Dec 29 10:55:08 MST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Steve Kann wrote:

> This shouldn't matter. The PING/PONG will still give an accurate RTT
> estimate, and the jitterbuffer delay that's returned will be the
> _maximum_ delay. I think it turns out, in practice, that the maximum
> delay is usually just about what happens to most packets, because most
> packets are sent in a consistent time, while a few packets are late
> (because of buffering spikes, etc). Regardless, we're trying to give an
> upper bound to the delay, and while 1/2rtt + "delay" would be a better
> upper bound, rtt+delay is more conservative, because it takes into
> account differing delay lengths.

This is where I always had trouble when trying to report measurements from
the jitter buffer - just because the jitter buffer is a particular size,
doesn't in my opinion tell you too much about how long a frame will be
delayed.  If its true that we are just looking at delay "spikes" then you
are right.  But I tended to see that the delay jumps higher for seconds or
tens of seconds, sometimes followed by lost packets and a return to lower
delay (symptom of congestion and a router running out of buffer).
Timestamp discontinuities made things more complicated.

Still - the thing is to try it and see how things go.

Steve