[Asterisk-Dev] ASTOBJ update

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Mon Dec 27 15:48:45 MST 2004

For those who saw the message exchange here yesterday and today, please
see bug 3167 in Mantis.

Mark and I had a long chat on IRC this morning, and he agreed with many
of my suggested API changes. Those changes have been implemented in that
bug, and the ASTOBJ API is now cleaner and more orthogonal. (Please
don't misunderstand, I'm not in any way disparaging Mark's work <G>)

That patch also paves the way for a future upgrade to rwlocks for ASTOBJ
entities instead of mutexes; at this point it does not seem that that
will be possible soon, but I am still researching it. If it can be done,
it will be another big performance improvement, since many modules in
Asterisk build lists of things and then primarily only read them, so
being able to have multiple readers in parallel will solve a lot of
contention problems.