[Asterisk-Dev] Channel driver for Unistim...

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Dec 19 20:41:27 MST 2004

asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> It is certain that it is not compatible, of course.
>
> Is there someone to supply phones to the cause?

I may be able to help.

> James Thompson wrote:
>
>> This protocol may be similar to MEGACO however I am pretty sure that
>> they are not compatible. I believe i200x's use a pc client to act on
>> non-succession based nortel networks(MGCP).

That PC client is also how Nortel plans to "support" SIP.

>> The dummy server has the ability to connect to phones and have them
>> call each other using any of the codecs in the phone. So to get it
>> functional it's only a matter of passing the call requests to and
>> from asterisk.

I would think that Nortel's i2050 softphone uses UNISTIM as well. That'd
take up a lot less desk space, and save on shipping costs. All you'd
need is a thrill-seeker's love of danger, which is required before any
sane person can seriously consider installing Nortel software on a PC
:
Anyway, I may be able to help with procurement. The way I see it, when
Nortel finally goes belly up, there'll be a lot of people with dying
Nortel machines and useless Nortel phones that'll be ready for a VoIP
PBX that actually works. Might as well get Asterisk ready, cause Nortel
sure as heck never will be . . .

Oops, was I foaming at the mouth? Is there some kind of therapy for
Nortel PBX geeks? Perhaps a support group?

Ah well, don't worry too much about me; ever since I discovered
Asterisk, I've been feeling much better . . .

Cheers,

Jim.